airbornewife

I dedicate this site my husband, a soldier, a father, and above all a friend. I also dedicate this site to soldiers currently serving and who have served our great country. You are in our thoughts always.

Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Married to a National Guard soldier. Just waiting for his departure overseas. This will the second go-round...I feel like a pro this time!

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Rainy days.....

Just a rainy Saturday...not much to do. That is a welcome change.
I've heard from Jeff more in the last few days than I have since September..almost!! He is now in a place where the phones and email are more accessable. We have spoken everyday since Wednesday! Crazy.
He is doing well...so are we. Just anxious for spring. I get tired of winter so quickly. The stars this time of year are beautiful though. When the sky is clear out here, the stars just shine. I leave for work when its still dark, so every now and then I take a minute to gaze before I leave. The other night, the moon was full and a few clouds were out, it was amazing. Night skies like that make me forget for a minute.
When we were young, my mom would sometimes take my brother and me to the middle of nowhere late at night and we would watch the stars. She always knew when a meteor shower was happening. We would climb on top of the car and just stare for hours. I always thought that was so cool.
The moon and stars have always had some significance in our lives. My grandfather owned a marina on the Alabama River. Every full moon, him and his friends would take the boat out in the middle of the night and howl at the moon. No joke.
Jeff and I were engaged during the full moon. We spent our first few weeks in our new house and new marriage just sitting on the back deck, looking out over the pasture and watching the sky. The most amazing lightening show I have ever seen was right here with him and the little one. We silently observed a spectular sight together.
Everytime I see the sky now, I wonder what it looks like where he is. I tell myself that at least we are still under the same sky.
Its all so strange and exciting at times, wondering what things are going to change between us. What will become stronger, what weaker. I feel that way when he is here. Maybe that's why we work. We never try to settle into one thing. We are far from routine, but have our own way. Our differences allow for so many new conversations.
Time apart brings up new questions. About the relationship, about yourself. I have to say I have a new perspective on what is important. All the little things that would bother or annoy me don't exist any more. He was already teaching me that life is short and you have to love every day. He has lost alot of friends in his line of work.....we have all lost friends and family. Just realizing how quickly things can change, how quickly people can be taken from you. It all becomes very precious.
Anyway...thoughts on a rainy day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

You are right. Life is very precious and you don't appreciate it until you have a fear of losing it. I am glad you have been able to talk to your husband so much lately. Keep on keepin on.

10:38 AM  
Blogger kbug said...

I've talked to my baby boy, who has been in Iraq since the first of Dec. He told me that he has changed alot since he's been there...that the little things mean so much more to him now. He didn't go into detail, but he says I'll see when he comes home for R&R. Wow, I can't wait to wrap my arms around that little punk. Glad I happened across your site....

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home