airbornewife

I dedicate this site my husband, a soldier, a father, and above all a friend. I also dedicate this site to soldiers currently serving and who have served our great country. You are in our thoughts always.

Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Married to a National Guard soldier. Just waiting for his departure overseas. This will the second go-round...I feel like a pro this time!

Monday, January 09, 2006

He's not a Chubina after all...

Our rooster actually works!!!! After a few months of no crowing from our rooster, Chubby Checker, the little one started calling him Chubina. Well, today, he became a man!
My husband called at 3:00am this morning and it was the best talk yet. It was clear and we didn't get cut off. He sounded so good and rested. He said they are feeding him well. I sort of spoiled him at home with eating. Being a chef, I guess I feel guilty when I don't cook dinner, so he eats pretty well.
I went back to sleep and started dreaming. It was weird because I was dreaming that his coworkers from the police department came by to check on us and I was cooking breakfast and making coffee. Everyone was gathered in my kitchen and I was updating them on Jeff. Instead of the coffee pot beeping to let me know that it was ready, it was crowing! No Joke!! It went on and on! I woke up to a kiss on the cheek and giggle from the little one. We were both laughing about Chubby finally crowing. He sounded so funny! His voice was actually sort of cracking! It was the best way to wake up. The first person I wanted to tell was Jeff. On the few mornings we got to sleep late, he would always open the blinds and we would watch the chickens first thing in the morning. We would lie in bed and listen to them clucking around and always wonder when Chubby was going to sing for us.
I'm feeling better each day that goes by....because that means more days to mark off on the calendar. Hopefully I will have so many projects to do, it will fly by...Paint the front porch, restain the back deck, put quarter round down, plant the garden, start fencing lessons (that's right!), clean out the garage (for real this time), paint the trim in the house Jeff told me I would never get around to, and help my mom at her artist's retreat! She has some land in another town with a little house and a creek and she hopes to move there when she retires. Its beautiful, peaceful, and a great place for her to concentrate on her artwork.
That's another thing I need to focus on more. I used to be darn good artist, but sort of got out the habit of sketching everyday. Now I find myself drawing tattoo designs for people. Which is cool because before he left, Jeff got one that I designed. His has alot to do with the book "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. It is a Spartan warrior with Greek lettering that says duty, honor, country.
The book is historial fiction. It is about the battle of Thermopylae, where the Spartan army stood 300 strong against the Persian army. It was considered a suicide mission, but it bought valuable time for the rest of the Greek army to rally their forces. The warriors are born into "a cult of spiritual courage, physical endurance, and unmatched battle skill." Basically, these guys kicked ass!! The book meant alot to us because mindset of these particular warriors is so honorable and true. Jeff wanted me to read it because in the end, the real backbone of these men were their wives. The 300 warriors were picked because they had the strongest women. It was the women in their lives that gave them strength.
I'm not a particularly religious person myself, therefore, I have always felt that love is the one thing in this world you could count on. So basically the love that we have is the most real and spiritual thing I have in my life. That may sound a little corny, but that's how it is!!
I got another tattoo myself, but it wasn't nearly as momentous. I have to go Wednesday for the color. (Sorry Mom) At least the tattoos I have are pretty????
Anyway, things are good, as good as they can be. Just missing my man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

please, please upload a picture of the spartan tattoo! :D

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home