airbornewife

I dedicate this site my husband, a soldier, a father, and above all a friend. I also dedicate this site to soldiers currently serving and who have served our great country. You are in our thoughts always.

Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Married to a National Guard soldier. Just waiting for his departure overseas. This will the second go-round...I feel like a pro this time!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

He's on his way.....

Well, the day finally came. My husband is on his way to Afghanistan as I type. Don't know when I will talk with him again..maybe in a few days.
I am so lucky that he got to come home for Christmas. We all went to my Mom's and it was fantastic!! On New Year's, the restaurant where I work was closed (imagine that) and the owner said we could have it for the night! A couple of guys that are going with him came and of course several of our friends...it was great!! We had the run of the place...then paid for it the next day!
Now begins the long haul. I begin a new year with a brand new calendar. This calendar has more days than all the rest, I swear it!! I started flipping through to his tenative arrival date. There are a whole lotta days between now and then. I am going to try and break it up as best as I can. When spring starts roll around, I know I will be busier with the garden.
I feel sort of numb right now. I don't think that it has really hit me that I won't be seeing him for so long. Not hearing from him will be the biggest adjustment. We have always tried to let each other know how much we love each other. We have both been through so much heartache and disappointment that when we found each other, we knew we would never take for granted what we have.
My grandfather, father, and stepfather were all in the military and all saw combat. Therefore my grandmother and mother both went through deployments. Deployments that involved combat and lots of not knowing. We both felt like it was our time. Our time to sacrifice, our time to put all other things aside for the bigger picture.
War can seem so romantic when your sitting on your couch watching your tv. You hear about all the love stories, the heroism, the tales of bravery.....it doesn't feel so romantic right now. Actually, one of the definitions of romanticism is "given to thoughts or feelings of adventure, heroism, or love." Well, he most definitely has adventure right now, he is for sure my hero, and i try every day to make him feel loved....maybe this will be a tale of romance. A tale of love found and love reunited and all that sappy stuff.
Yeah, this is the start of a great book! (I'm trying to be positive, really I am!) We'll show 'em! Screw 'em all! Nothin' can stop a love like ours!
Ok, I'm good. Just a little side tracked...trying to find the positive. I am NOT going to be a weepy, depressed left behinder. I'm going to be the strong Spartan wife that sheds no tears and is the real backbone of the warrior. (Read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.)
This war ain't got JACK on us baby!
I love my husband, my soldier, my friend. I have to remind myself that I am a part of this too. It helps more than I thought it would. The more I feel in control the better, illusion or not. Time can be your worst enemy or your best friend.
I love you, babe! I am with you always!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger kbug said...

The separation is hell, so is the "not knowing" part, but it gets better after a while. However, it does feel like forever between contacts, even when it's only been two days. My son's wife is living with us while he's in Iraq (he's been there for one month now). We're lucky to have each other through this. Friends and family can be a big help to you, so will writing on this site, it helps me to be able to write about what I'm feeling. Anyway, hang in there girl...I'll be praying for you and for your fella, too.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home