airbornewife

I dedicate this site my husband, a soldier, a father, and above all a friend. I also dedicate this site to soldiers currently serving and who have served our great country. You are in our thoughts always.

Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

Married to a National Guard soldier. Just waiting for his departure overseas. This will the second go-round...I feel like a pro this time!

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Holy cow...

I heard from my husband...he made it there safely. I didn't realize how much better I would feel after I talked with him that first time. I felt like I was holding my breath!! Of course, we got cut off...thought that would happen. We only spoke for a few minutes, but it was great. He got to talk to the little one, so that made her day.
He talked about how cold it is there...we live in the heart of the south....so its even colder to him!!! This morning got the first email from him and one more short phone call. I guess that's pretty good considering he has only been there a few days. He is moving to another location where the communication is supposed to be better, so maybe we won't have long stretches of not talking. At first I was disappointed in myself for being so upset. My mom told me that the first time my dad left, she went to bed for 24 hours. Then she got up, gathered herself, and lived day by day.
She's right. The first few weeks will be sort of like a grieving process. Its only normal to feel sad and upset that your true love has been temporarily taken from you. Temporarily is the key word. This too shall pass......
Now I have to concentrate on getting ready for spring...garden time! I haven't been running as much as i should, so I've got to get back on schedule with that. The little one's birthday is soon, we are planning a big spend the night party!! Give me strength....or a bloody mary!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Glad to hear he got there safely! It is such a loooooong trip.

My hubs was in Paktika province for a year and came home in June. Hang in there girl and holler if you need anything.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

My fiance has been gone a month now and I still get upset. Props to your mom for being so strong but don't be disappointed in yourself. I think it is normal to get upset. I feel hard hearted sometimes because some people say they cry themselves to sleep and I don't. I do my best not to think about it. I don't want to be upset so I stay away from romantic movies and military things. Like the other day my sister graduated from college and they had a Presentation of the Flags, that made me cry a little. Sometimes I think I am being ridiculous too. That was one of those times. But what can you do? Just roll with the punches I guess.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home